picture

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fela and Fashion Night Out

What a fun New York week I have had! I got the chance to see "Fela" on Broadway! And, the best part, it was FREE! My friend from Amarillo, Todd Briscoe, hooked me up with some free tickets to see this wonderful musical. Fela is based on the true life of Fela Kuti, a Nigerian, who invented a new sound called "Afrobeat," a sound that combines drums, horns, and electric guitar. He played his music at his club, "The Shrine," and filled it with lyrics used to attack the military dictatorship that oppressed Nigeria in the late 70s. It was more like a concert than a play. I loved it! Such energy and the dancers were incredible. They were dancing barefoot which just seemed so painful to me. A beautiful story and an inspiring message! And the cherry on top was Patti LeBelle was there playing Fela's mom, chill bumps for me and the whole audience. Thank you to John Son for going with me and especially Todd for the tickets!

Fela set-Welcome to da Shrine!

Then, on Friday, to continue my exciting week, I went to Fashion Night Out. FNO was started last year to bump up the economy and man was it fun! It's a night where all the boutiques in the city stay open late and have lots of promos and free stuff. Everyone gets dressed up and goes out to see all the beautiful people. My friend Kelsey and I went with a few of her sweet friends out on the town. Our first stop was at a boutique in Soho with free champagne and pizza. (pretty much my two favorite things) As we were getting our champagne, I thought the bartender was a little awkward. I couldn't tell if he realized I was not high society and shouldn't be there or what? (but nothing stops me from free bubbly) Come to find out, it was the dad from Gossip Girl who was bartending. I don't think he knew what was doing and that's why it was so uncomfortable for him. Star sighting, didn't even realize it. Then we walked over to the meat packing district and went in some shops and had a free "hair touch up" at the John Frieda salon. We ended the evening in the east village with a beer to celebrate a fun girls night out.

Kelsey and I under the lights!


No comments:

Post a Comment