picture

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Sugar Rush: An NYC Cupcake Tour



This past Sunday, I went on a cupcake tour for my friend, Rosalind's, birthday. It was 2 hours of sweet, sugary goodness. I do consider myself a bit of a cupcake official, but I was even surprised by a couple of their choices. We started at Union Square and walked through the West Village. Here were six of our stops:

1. Baked by Melissa- They specialize in mini-cupcakes, and by that I mean that is all they sell. Each is under 50 calories and delicious. My fav is the chocolate chip pancake with maple frosting followed closely by the PB&J. They have stores all over NYC now!

2. Amorino Gelato al Naturale- We had passionfruit gelato. Just a spoonful of that goodness was enough to make me feel I ate an entire passionfruit!

3. Crumbs- The biggest cupcake chain in the world! It's a little over the top for me, but a definite tourist stop.

4. Molly's Cupcakes- My favorite spot on the tour. The owner had a third grade teacher named Molly who used to bake cupcakes for all the kids' birthdays. So, he named his magically school-themed cupcake shop after her. They also donate a portion of their profits to local schools, which I think is awesome. It's in the West Village and is precious! They also have a location in Chicago. I had a carrot cupcake with brown butter frosting. Heaven!

5. Milk & Cookies- I went to this spot a couple years ago with my friend, Susan Boatwright. We sampled their salted oat cookie with white chocolate on Sunday. Salty-sweet and delish!

6. Magnolia Bakery- Any "Sex and the City" fan knows this place has great cupcakes. Insider tip: their banana pudding makes their cupcakes taste like sawdust. Thank you Kelsey Maples for teaching me that!

When the sugar rush was at it's highest at the end of the tour, I got another injection of happiness...



Yep, that is the doorstep from Carrie's apt on "Sex and the City." I know men are rolling their eyes all over the world, but I love that show. It highlights all the great things about NYC and apparently, it's cupcakes too.


Salted Oat cookie. Pat didn't stop chewing for the pic. :) 
Evan & Pat on the swings at Molly's Cupcake


No comments:

Post a Comment