picture

Tuesday, April 19, 2011



An Ode to Spring

It’s April 19th and I am headed home to Texas, where it’s 88 degrees. It hasn’t been that hot in New York since August. It seems all things “spring” come later in the Empire State. I am on spring break in April, and I am just beginning to see signs of spring this month. I would be sporting flip-flops and shorts by this time in Texas. Heck, I haven’t even had a pedicure yet. What is the world coming too?

I am not all sorrows about this late change in seasons, as I have loved watching the city bloom the last couple weeks. Although the temperatures don’t feel it at times, the days have warmed. I don’t pile on layers or pull on heavy snow boots any more. I don’t wear my knit cap and gloves to go running on the weekend, and I don’t wonder if tomorrow will be a snow day. NYC is thawing out.

I took several walks through Riverside Park this past week and saw the beauty of spring revealed. The trees are blooming in bright yellows and lovely creams. If you’re lucky, you’ll see a pink cherry blossom tree standing there brilliantly. There are orange and yellow daffodils’ showing their cheerful faces to whomever passes. Squirrels are hopping about all over. I felt like I had landed right in the middle of “Snow White.” I was bracing myself for some little blue bird to come sit on my shoulder so we could sing a tune.

The park was absolutely gorgeous, as are the people. Commuters are shedding their heavy down coats and exchanging them for smart khaki trench coats. (a must have) I notice more smiles as people sport chic flats in all the colors of the rainbow. I have even seen some brave souls wear sundresses.

Spring is coming and I couldn’t be happier! Lots of fun to look forward too: picnics in the park, days at the beach, eating brunch outside in the sun, good times on Carly’s roof, and of course, rompers. I’ll enjoy those summer temps this week though, it couldn’t hurt. I’ll be back in the trench coat next week! Happy Easter blog friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment