picture

Monday, January 24, 2011


Woes and Wins of Winter

I woke up this morning to a brisk 7 degrees. Seven. It got me thinking about winter and how it's possible that I am managing my most fretted about season. Rest assured that I am pushing through it, learning lessons quickly, and trying not to let the "winter blues" set in. Here are some positive and negative observations I have made, just in case you're considering a move to an arctic tundra any time soon.

Woes.....
-Taking an extra 2 minutes to put on a jacket, scarf, mittens, and snow boots
-Remembering all of those said items before you walk down 5 flights of stairs
-Losing gloves
-Slush, big puddles of slush
-The crabbiness of commuters when it's raining, snowing, or sleeting
-The feeling of wind whipping through buildings, and how you never expect it. It takes your breath away.
-Seeing people that don't have a nice, warm apt to come home too on the street. I recently learned there are 37,000 homeless people in New York City.

Wins....
-A reason to buy lots of cute scarves, mittens, and a new "sleeping bag" jacket.
-Flannel sheets, ahhh, there is no safer place in the world than in a bed with flannel sheets during the winter.
-Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, cider, and soup
-Running in Central Park covered in snow and on the Hudson, watching ice chunks float by
-Excuse to stay in and watch movies
-Kids wrapped up in snow suits, who can never seem to put their little arms down.
-Dogs wearing sweaters and little paw protectors, I always smile at them.
-Shopping for spring clothes-gives you hope this may end.
-The joy of eating in a cozy restaurant with the windows fogged up, or even just walking by one and seeing people enjoy that feeling.

So see, there are lots of reasons to complain about and celebrate winter. It's a season like any other, and will be over before you know it. The arrival of spring will probably never mean more to me than this year. Until then, I will keep enjoying the wonders of January, February, and possibly March, although I am hopeful.

Stay warm friends!

3 comments:

  1. i'm glad to see coffee is on the happy List! big kisses! I miss You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looking at your picture makes me cold! Glad I'm coming in the summer!

    ReplyDelete