picture

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Virginia is for .... Intensives?

Yes, I am in Virginia. Not Virginia Beach mind you, but right smack dab in the middle of the state, in Lynchburg. The birthplace of Chapstick, J. Crew, and Liberty University where I have been studying the past few days. I am working on a master's degree in school counseling at Liberty, and must complete some intensive classes for my license. So, I am here taking two classes, each a week long.
I flew in last week to the booming airport, picked up my bags at baggage claim one, the one and only, called a taxi and headed to the Extended Stay America. Not the fanciest digs for sure, but it's close to campus and has been ok. There is this sketchy recycled air smell that I can't quite shake though.
The first week was pretty successful. I got a lot of classwork done and met some sweet people. Thats the thing about teaching classes, always nice gals to hang out with. I got to visit some of those food chains we don't have in NYC like Chick-Fil-A and Arbys, which was fun. I even found friends to take me to Target and the J. Crew outlet store. I have no car here so I feel a bit like a prisoner in the Extended Stay, but people are very kind to drive me around. I try to walk places too, but that just seems strange outside of New York.
As I enter week two, I would say I am more than ready to be done. The hours spent in the Extended Stay typing assignments, eating crappy food, and sleeping on non-feather pillows are starting to get to me. I was so happy to blog just so I didn't have to use APA format for a minute.
There are so many unique things about NY that you take for granted when you live there. Not being able to walk to amazing food, hop over to the Hudson for a run, or jump on a subway to get around has been difficult to say the least. Although there is a Golden Corral down the block, so why should I complain?
I leave next Saturday to fly to Denver for a week in Wyoming and my sweet cousin Sarah's wedding! Then back to Amarillo for a few days before a weekend in Dallas to finish up this summer odyssey. I will be back on August 2nd, one day before my year anniversary with NYC!
Although this hasn't been the most thrilling way to spend a piece of my summer, it's a good thing for me to remember how blessed I am to live in a city with such diversity, tolerance, opportunities, kind friends, and most importantly, great food at your fingertips! Stay tuned for more updates from the Commonwealth!

Souvenir?

No comments:

Post a Comment