picture

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bon Appetit

This phrase literally translates to "good appetite" or more commonly thought to mean, "Enjoy your meal." Until recently, I had only heard Julia Child's warbley voice say this, but now I hear it almost everyday at the French school where I work. My colleagues walk into the lunch room and say "bon appetit" like they would say good morning at the coffee pot.

Well, I have definitely had a "good appetite" lately because I have been getting to eat at some fantastic NY restaurants. I have had my sweet dad, commonly referred to as Papa Thames, in town this past weekend and a couple friends' parents in town the week before. So, suffice it to say, I have had some incredible meals!

Last weekend, I got to visit "Terrace in the Sky" and eat a classic french brunch with my friend Kelsey and her dad. Any brunch that has courses is just a ridiculous treat! The restaurant is on top of a building that has a beautiful view of Morningside Park and the NY skyline.

The night before Claire's parents treated me to the "The Modern," a restaurant inside the Museum of Modern Art and I feel like I ate ART! We had an EIGHT course meal with wine pairings. I came home and wrote down every course I had so I wouldn't forget them. What can I say, I think I was on a food high! Coolest dish: raw Kobe beef and foie gras squares arranged into a checkerboard and topped with passion fruit seeds. Amazing!

This weekend, my Dad and I went to Babbo, Mario Batali's restaurant in Greenwich Village that serves innovative and delicious italian food. You're not going to find spaghetti and meatballs here, but rather beef cheek ravioli with black truffles. (yummy) You have to get a reservation a month to the day in advance and I am sure glad we did! Such a wonderful memory for my dad and I. Highlight for me was the Pumpkin "Lune" ravioli sprinkled with fresh shaved amaretti cookies.

I love this city, but the eating in it never ceases to amaze me. Whether its dining at one of these fine restaurants or having a greasy burger at JG Melon, it's bon appetit every time!



No comments:

Post a Comment